Claire Packham, Chair of the LILAC Committee, introduces FestivIL by LILAC, an exciting new online event taking place in July 2021.
Back in December, the LILAC committee had to take the difficult decision to postpone LILAC: the Information Literacy Conference for the second year in a row. We considered whether moving LILAC online was an option but decided that, given factors such as the complexity of the programme, the length of the conference, and the time zones of our various delegates, this wasn’t something we could do in a way that would be a positive experience for attendees (or for us as a committee!). So instead a new idea was born… FestivIL by LILAC.
What is FestivIL by LILAC?
FestivIL by LILAC is an online event designed to share knowledge & experiences and to bring the information literacy community together.
FestivIL events will feature;
- Masterclasses: 30 minute showcases of best practice in IL teaching
- Lightning talks: short, 5 minute sessions delivered to small groups followed by a group discussion
- IL talks: like a TED talk, these will be pre-recorded and made available ahead of the event (our version of TED Talks), followed by a live seminar discussion
- Posters: digital posters will be shared ahead of the event, followed by a live session during the FestivIL programme
- Panel discussions: facilitated discussions hosted by a small group of experts with different perspectives on a range of IL issues
- Skills/resource exchange: a reciprocal exchange session, in a similar format to speed networking, designed for experience sharing but also for building networks with IL professionals from around the world
- Community of practice: as part of the daily FestivIL activities ,we will be setting up small communities of practice for you to share thoughts and experiences throughout the event
In addition to all of the above, we are delighted to announce our three mainstage speakers who will be joining us: Emily Drabinski (CUNY), Barbara Fister (Project Information Literacy) and Alison Hicks & some of her LIS students from UCL.
When is the event happening?
FestivIL will run across 3 half days;
- Tuesday 6th July (afternoon session, GMT, exact times TBC)
- Wednesday 7th July (morning session, GMT, exact times TBC)
- Thursday 8th July (afternoon session, GMT, exact times TBC)
We see FestivIL as an opportunity to support the IL community and we hope delegates will participate — be that sharing your experiences, posting a comment or just having a chat. Whatever stage you’re at in your career, whether that’s in libraries, learning technology, educational development, research or information management, we think you’ll get something out of attending FestivIL by LILAC.
Visit the FestivIL by LILAC website for more information. Bookings open soon!
Claire Packham – LILAC Chair